Thursday, November 16, 2006

CNN to New Rep. -elect Keith Ellison

CNN Headline News' Glen Beck interviewed the Representative elect Keith Ellison earlier this week. Two things I find interesting here.

First, Keith Ellison is the first Muslim ever elected to the House.

Second, Glen Beck's statement right out of the gate. Does anyone with an ounce of education buy into this stuff? And how are Muslims any different from other religions? Read on and you will note a few statements that well...are stupid. And at least one where could insert any other major institutionalized religions' name where Muslim is used.

What percentage of the population do you think actually is concerned with this question below?

And, is this just an echo of talking points meant to paint Democratic wins as a win for the 'enemy'? the drum of war on terror continues to beat strongly.

I know the media shouts it, but I really wonder what the disparity is between what the public thinks and what is served up to them (which doesn't appear unbiased at all).

CNN's Beck to first-ever Muslim congressman: "[W]hat I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies' "

From the November 14 edition of CNN Headline News' Glenn Beck:

(Video Link to clip from Media Matters)

BECK: History was made last Tuesday when Democrat Keith Ellison got elected to Congress, representing the great state of Minnesota. Well, not really unusual that Minnesota would elect a Democrat. What is noteworthy is that Keith is the first Muslim in history to be elected to the House of Representatives. He joins us now.

Congratulations, sir.

ELLISON: How you doing, Glenn? Glad to be here.

BECK: Thank you. I will tell you, may I -- may we have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards face up on the table?

ELLISON: Go there.

BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly.

With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."

And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.

ELLISON: Well, let me tell you, the people of the Fifth Congressional District know that I have a deep love and affection for my country. There's no one who is more patriotic than I am. And so, you know, I don't need to -- need to prove my patriotic stripes.

BECK: I understand that. And I'm not asking you to. I'm wondering if you see that. You come from a district that is heavily immigrant with Somalians. And I think it's wonderful, honestly, I think it is really a good sign that you are a -- you could be an icon to show Europe, this is the way you integrate into a country. I think the Somalians coming out and voting is a very good thing. With that --

ELLISON: I'd agree with you.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Islam is VERY VERY different than other religions. I know its not the PC thing to say.. but its entirely true.

Read the Koran. Look at the history.. these are that which defines Islam.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Prometheun said...

Have you read the Koran?

The history, hmm, well, it isn't much different is it from say...Christianity?

Look at the history of that? are you forgetting all the crazy shit that has come through the ruling Christian institutions? wars, crusades, witch trials, mass torture, mass murder?

What I do know is that it shares a lot in common with the other two major monotheisms: judaism and christianity. First, the fact that they are all monotheistic gives them characteristics in common. Second, all of them actually worship the same god, that being the god of Abraham to which all three religions find a common Origin.

How much of what you are saying comes from what is popularly believed in our culture and how much comes from a personal look at the actual beliefs and spiritual teachings with the faith?

Your Friendly Neighborhood Prometheun said...

Five Articles of Faith

The five articles of faith are the main doctrines of Islam. All Muslims are expected to believe the following:

1. Allah. Like Judaism and Christianity, Islam believes there is one true Allah (The Arabic translation of the word God). Allah alone is the creator of all the universe.
2. Angels. Angels exist and interact with human lives. They are comprised of light, and each have different purposes or messages to bring to earth. Each man or woman has two angels who record his actions; one records good deeds, the other bad deeds.
3. Scripture. There are four inspired books, the Torah of Moses, the Psalms (Zabin) of David, the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Injil) and the Qur'an. All but the Qur'an have been corrupted by Jews and Christians.
4. Prophets. God has spoken through numerous prophets throughout time. The six greatest are: Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad. Muhammad is the last and greatest of Allah's messengers.
5. Last Days. On the last day there will be a time of resurrection and judgment. Those who follow Allah and Muhammad will go to Islamic heaven, or Paradise. Those who do not will go to hell.

The Five Pillars of Faith

The five pillars of faith are observances in Islam which are duties each Muslim must perform.

1. Creed (Kalima)- One must state, "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah." publicly to become a Muslim.
2. Prayer (Salat)- Prayer must be done five times a day (upon rising, at noon, in mid-afternoon, after sunset, and before going to sleep) towards the direction of Mecca. The call to prayer is sounded by the muezzin (Muslim crier) from a tower (minaret) within the mosque.
3. Almsgiving (Zakat)- Muslims are legally required to give one-fortieth of their income to the needy. Since those whom alms are given are helping the giver achieve salvation, there is no sense of shame in receiving charity.
4. Fasting (Ramadan)- During the holy month of Ramadan, faithful Muslims fast from sunup to sundown each day. This develops self-control, devotion to God, and identity with the needy.
5. Pilgrimage (Hajj)- Each Muslim is expected to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their lifetime if they have the means to do it and are physically capable of the trip. It is an essential part of gaining salvation, so the old or infirm may send someone in their place. It involves a set of rituals and ceremonies.

A sixth religious duty associated with the five pillars is Jihad, or Holy War. This duty requires that if the situation warrants, men are required to go to war to defend or spread Islam. If they are killed, they are guaranteed eternal life in Paradise.

However, I have heard that it is this last religious duty associated with the holy war that has been misinterpreted and corrupted from its original meaning within the faith.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Prometheun said...

...and that it is only the extremists who take this in a literal fashion

Unknown said...

"Have you read the Koran?

The history, hmm, well, it isn't much different is it from say...Christianity?"

Yes.. I have read it.

And saying the history isnt much different than Christianity is just ignorant.

I cant put it any other way. They are so amazingly different its not even funny.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Prometheun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Prometheun said...

How about replying with some substance behind your remarks.

If the history of each of these religions is so amazingly different in your view as to be funny, why not actual site a reason or two that you see it that way?

Then we could actually continue to have a conversation on the topic.